Quick Summer Foods

It's picnic season, so BBQ's and cookouts are the norm, and coleslaw is on the menu everywhere.  I have never been a fan of coleslaw. I don't like soggy salads I guess. While experimenting a little bit though, I think I've found a version of coleslaw that I actually like! It's simple, fresh and crunchy--not soggy--and it's kinda pretty too.


Apple Slaw

1/2 purple cabbage
1 granny smith apple
1/2 cup poppy seed dressing
1 cup chow mein noodles


Thinly slice the cabbage, and cut the apple into thin matchsticks. Toss with the poppyseed dressing and the chow mein noodles, or you can serve with the noodles on top instead of mixed in. 


While we are thinking picnics and BBQs, let's talk leftovers. Sometimes it takes a while to eat through a watermelon. Don't let it go bad! Just chop that leftover melon into cubes and freeze. You can add them to any smoothie, or throw it in the blender with some seltzer water for a refreshing frothy drink, or make homemade froyo (like this).


The other thing we always have left over after a BBQ is 2-liters of pop.  We don't really drink a lot of pop, so rather than just letting it go flat and getting thrown out, I poured the rest into popsicle molds. The kids loved them! Waste not, want not : )


I hope you're enjoying good summer foods and friends. 

Comments

Popular Posts