Monster Party

I don't feel like I'm a really dramatic person, but I am a very thematic person. Anything is better with a fun theme. Last fall we hosted a monster themed play day and today I'm sharing all the details. I kept things pretty simple, and I think the kids had fun. 


I had this monster fabric that I'd been waiting to use. I made some little bean bags, and covered a hot chocolate tin with paper to make a bean bag toss game.


These monster eyes were a big hit. They are just marshmallows dipped in colored almond bark with a black m&m.


I set up a coloring and beading table. I drew the monsters for them to color and put out fruit loops to string onto some cording. Honestly, after all that I did for this the kids probably would have been just as happy with just the marshmallows and fruit loops. That's what happens when you don't normally let your kids have a lot of sugary treats. 


The main activity was making these playdough monsters. I made a batch of homemade playdough and made a few different colors for the kids to choose from. Then I put out feathers, googly eyes, cut felt shapes, and little pipe cleaners.


It's fun to see each of the kids have their own ideas.


The googly eyes were pretty popular with everyone.


As I was searching for monster ideas I found a party somewhere that had made crayon bags to look like monsters, so I combined that with a travel kit idea and made these crayon rolls. You can probably figure out what I did just by looking at them. The little tab is some colored elastic I got as a Pick Your Plum deal once. 






Here's the whole gang. You just fold in half and roll and then secure with the elastic loop.


 Then they look like this. Perfect for keeping kids busy, especially waiting for food at a restaurant.


 We had a little baby friend come and I didn't want him to feel left out, so I made him a monster softie.





I was first inspired to have a monster day when I saw these bags at Target, so everyone got a bag to take home with some playdough in case they want to make more monsters, and some coloring pages to go with their crayon rolls.










It was a fun day, without too much work. I hope you can use some of these ideas for your little monsters. 


Thanks for reading!
-Haley


I'm sharing this party at Bloom Designs & Confetti Diaries

Comments

  1. Awe, How cute. I love the crayon holders. How fun is that! I'm a new follower. I would love if you came to visit me @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Rose. I did stop over at your blog--good stuff! I like the red poppy hair clips. Hope you have a great holiday weekend!

      Delete
  2. This was just a fabulous party idea! and I love the monster coloring bags. I sew for my local children's hospital and I just may have to make some like this. They would absolutely love them and could color in bed!

    Dona
    http://sewingmilesofsmiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dona. My Thing One spent a night in the hospital recently and they did give him a handful of crayons that ended up all over the place. I thought then that these crayon rolls would be an awesome thing to make and donate to Children's Hospitals! I may be sewing some for them soon too. That's so awesome that you are already sewing for them! : )

      Delete
  3. Ok, this is TOO CUTE! My boys would love this. My oldest loves Monsters Inc. and would love the "silliness" of this party! What great ideas! :) I would love to invite you to share this with my readers at Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes!
    Have a Great Weekend,
    Mackenzie
    http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-12-summer-series-preview/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mackenzie. Thanks for inviting me to your link party, I linked up! Love the ideas on your blog, by the way. : )

      Delete
  4. What a fun monster party full of cute ideas!! We totally love this post! We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're being featured on this week's Saturday Show & Tell! :)
    Thanks,
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea. I love having themed parties, but I don't like doing the typical Disney themes. My favorite is the... I was writing my favorites and realized I like all of them!!! Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower. Hope to see you at True Aim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I so loooove this party! Especially the playdough monsters! I'm going to have to try that with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you all had a lot of fun! I love those roll-up travel bags and the plush you made the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such an adorable monster party. The kids look like they had so much fun. I love the monster crayon bags. They're so cute and creative!

    I wanted to invite you to share your party on my blog's link party this week. I think my readers would really appreciate such great party inspiration!

    http://confettidiaries.com/2012/09/wednesdays-goodies-link-party-1/

    Thanks for sharing so many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! And thanks for inviting me to you link party. I have linked up at your blog. Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts