Joy to the World? & Marshmallow Snowmen

Days like Friday make me so grateful for everyday that I can spend time with my sweet kids. It's difficult to put the joy of Christmas next to such sadness, and hard to know how to grieve and celebrate at the same time, especially since we have tried to shield Thing One from any knowledge of the event. I feel for any of you who had to have that conversation with your kids. So what to do? Pray. Grieve. Make the most of every day we are given, knowing that not one of us is guaranteed tomorrow. Right now at this stage in my kids' lives, "the most of everyday" means time spent together making good memories and trying to give to others. 

The rest of my posts this year will just be a few fun things to do with you kids. Spending time making happy memories together, and not getting wrapped up in busy holiday stuff is my goal every year, especially since having kids. So today how about some puffy white snowmen? These make a great neighbor gift. And, by the way they are gluten free, so if you are wondering what to make for those friends, here you go!



Marshmallow Snowmen

Ingredients:

Jumbo marshmallows
Regular marshmallows
White frosting
M&M's and M&M minis
Mini Chocolate chips
White Almond bark
Chocolate Almond bark (or regular chocolate chips)
Orange food coloring gel




First melt the chocolate almond bark (or regular chocolate chips). Dip one side of the regular size marshmallows in the chocolate and put them on a foil lined baking sheet to harden. Once they are hard they should look like a little hat. 



Then using the white frosting stick the mini chocolate chips on for eyes. Then melt a little bit of the white almond bark and color it orange. Spoon it into a little sandwich bag and snip the very tip. Use the bag to pipe carrot noses unto the snowman heads. If you'd like, use frosting to attach a single chocolate jimmy for the mouth. For the bodies, use the white frosting to "glue" two regular M&M's on for buttons. Let both pieces harden and set for a little while, then use the frosting to glue the head to the body.


 Then you should have a little snowman army. You might have to let them set up on their backs, I had some trouble with heads sliding off, but once the frosting firms up they stand just fine.


Store in an airtight container so the marshmallows don't get stale.


If you or your kids are wanting a more simplified project, try just doing snowman heads. Use the jumbo marshmallows, regular chocolate chips for eyes, and mini chocolate chips for the mouth.


Pair with a couple of chocolate dipped spoons and some hot cocoa and you are neighbor gift ready!


Thanks for reading. Take care friends, and enjoy every minute of this special season with your families. This has been a difficult year especially in Colorado. The fires, the theater shooting, sweet Jessica Ridgeway, and now we grieve with Connecticut. Here's a song I've been singing in my head a lot lately. There's certainly a lot of darkness and stormy times here and it is easy to feel we are being overwhelmed with evil. I find myself longing for home, but until then:

                    The Solid Rock



My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain: 
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.
                                   —Edward Mote (1797-1874)





Comments

  1. I bought the ingredients yesterday to make marshmallow snowmen - I love your gift idea - and the hats. Thanks for sharing.
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts