Creamy Beet Spread

Hi there! How about starting your week with something unique and delicious? First, let's talk beets. I used to think beets were disgusting. I guess I had only tried pickled beets, and I don't really care for pickled anything, except the occasional pickle. A couple of years ago when we went to the farm to pick veggies in the fall, we picked some beets. I didn't really know what to do with them, but once I dig something out of the ground I'm determined to at least try to eat it. Once I figured out how to boil and roast them, it turns out I do like beets! I like them Sam-I-am! We have a restaurant in CO called Mad Greens that serves a salad with chopped beets, goat cheese, pepitas, croutons, and steak (or chicken). It is my favorite salad recipe! I make it at home now, especially since I also discovered you can buy canned shoestring beets at King Soopers! I love how the goat cheese (sometimes I use Feta) tastes with the beets and it got me thinking. So I did a little experimenting and came up with something a little different and a lot yummy.


It's simple but deliciously different and I offer it up as a suggestion for your next potluck or appetizer party. For a small batch at home, I combine 1/2 can strained shoestring beets with 1/2 block of cream cheese. If you are making a bigger batch for a party, use 1:1. Pulse in the food processor until smooth and combined, then salt to taste.


Set out crackers, or sliced veggies with the dip for an easy and different appetizer.


Wouldn't this be pretty for a girly baby shower or an Easter appetizer?



It also dresses up lunch. I spread some of the beet cheese in a pita shell and stuffed with mesclun, sliced apples, pomegranate arils, and sliced avacados. I felt like I was out to lunch at a cute patio cafe. It was so delicious, I gave myself a big tip and said I would definitely be back. ; )


Maybe you already knew that beets can be yummy, but if not I hope that you too will give beets a chance. Have a wonderful day!
Thanks for reading!
- Haley

**P.S. For you Colorado friends, here's a special deal from Mad Greens for St. Patrick's Day week. 

Comments

  1. Yum! I recently learnedly that I like beets too. I will be trying the spread and the pita pocket as well! Thanks for the good ideas. -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I just started juicing beets and I actually LOVE the flavor!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments will be posted after review

Popular Posts