Fun with Magnets

Thing 1 really loves magnets, and actually so do I. They are not messy, they are quiet, and the possibilities are endless. Literally endless. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know, but with a roll of magnet strip you can stick your whole house to the fridge. 



Sometimes I like to put magnet strip on something just to say that I did. Valentines? Valentines magnets! Clock? Clock magnet! You get the picture.


Thing 1 received a present once with the cutest wrapping paper; each little animal in it's own square. As soon as I saw it I thought it would make great magnets. So I cut the paper into squares and glued them onto some thin cardboard. A cereal box would work. Then I "laminated" it with packing tape and stuck a strip of self adhesive magnet on the back. Sorry these pictures are a little blurry.


I think they are really cute and Thing 1 loved them. Plus...it was free!


Inspired by the wrapping paper magnets I took a couple of thin advertising magnets (like the ones that come glued on the front of your phone book) and glued on some scrapbook paper and added sesame street stickers.


Then I really started getting ideas. I always save these ad magnets now.


I've seen these still life photo magnets in book stores that just look like random photo clip art. Have you seen them? Sometimes it's a bouquet of roses or a piece of cake or something. So I gathered up some magazine ads and cut out little photos of food.



Then I arranged them on the magnet and modpoged them down. I did about 3 coats over the top then cut out around the objects.


And next thing you know, I had a whole grocery store of food.


I thought it would be fun to make a little shopping cart or magnetic grocery bag, so he could "go shopping" from the magnet food, but I never got around to it. He still likes to play with them though. And I think they are cool. I feel like even if I didn't have kids I would like these. Although we'll have to put them away again when Thing 2 is more mobile, because they would be easily swallowed. Anyway, kind of fun and really versatile. If you are more into style you could do this with jewelry or clothes or really any pretty photo from a magazine. Like I said, the possibilities are endless, and basically free. Kind of makes you wish for a new phone book doesn't it?


 Thanks for reading.
-Haley

Comments

Popular Posts