Pumpkin Scones

When I started this blog I didn't really plan on posting so many food related things, but that seems to be how things are going here lately. We eat every day, so food stuff always gets done and other wishful projects get put off. 


In the winter I love to bake warm, comforting food, like scones. I like all kinds of scones, but there's something especially cozy about pumpkin baked goods.


I found a lot of recipes for pumpkin scones, including one from Sweet Pea's Kitchen (find hers here), which is basically the one I used. All the recipes I found were much the same. The first one I read said that it made six scones. What? Why would you go to all this trouble for six scones? If you only want a scone or two then you should just go to Starbucks. Am I right? Please. If I'm going to spend an afternoon making scones then I better not look around the next morning and discover they are gone already. The recipe that I followed made 12 scones, so I went ahead and doubled that to be safe.


I modified the recipe just a little, here's my version: 

Pumpkin Scones

makes 12-15
Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour (plus 2 tablespoons if at high altitude)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
6 tablespoons cold butter, shredded on a cheese grater
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Add butter and stir/smash until butter is well combined with the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl whisk pumpkin, half-and-half and egg. Fold wet mixture into dry until a dough ball forms. Roll dough out on a well-floured surface until 1" think. Cut into squares or rectangles, then slice each in half to make triangles. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 425ยบ for 14-16 minutes.
Top with glaze once scones are mostly cool.

Spiced Glaze:
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Wisk all ingredients together and spoon over scones.




 I only used the spiced glaze.


Pretty happy with how they turned out. And even though I may have eaten them two at a time, there were still some left the next morning. Scones also freeze well, so if you make a couple dozen you can save some for later. Can I tell you how exciting it is to find a bag of these in the freezer a few weeks later? It's like taking yourself out to breakfast. I know, kind of pathetic that I can get so excited when I find scones that I myself made, but these are worth being excited about. : )

Thanks for reading!
-Haley  

Comments

Popular Posts